Wednesday 4 April 2012

Nuggets


I planted some studs today!

Melting silver is a rather cathartic past time.

When I am frustrated and need a break from some fiddly piece I'm working on
... I melt silver.
When I sit at my desk with nil inspiration
... I melt silver.
When I'm bored
... I melt some more silver.

I just love to watch the glowing bits of scrap silver ball up into an orange liquid sphere.  At nearly 1000 degrees it is quite spectacular. When the flame is removed, the ball quickly solidifies before I plunge it into a bowl of water. The immediacy of this cooling process is reinforced by the silver's sharp cry.
Satisfying indeed!

So what do I do with all these little silver nuggets?
Some I hammer into flat organic discs.
Others are filed into faceted shapes.

Today, I simply 'planted' them onto posts. The texture created by the melting and cooling process remains on the surface of the nuggets, resulting in simple, organic studs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add comment